June 2017  
SMTWTFS
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930 
     
This Week's Events
Bible Search

Our History

From its beginning in the fall of 1848 with 14 in attendance, the church membership has grown to almost 1400. In the 150 plus years since Reverend William H. Sampson preached the first sermon in Johnston’s Shanty (a combination private home and small rooming house), there have been two other church buildings. One building, in 1854, was built on College Avenue and another in 1879 was built on Lawrence Street. The Tudor Gothic style edifice which we currently meet in was dedicated in the fall of 1925.

 

Elder Sampson, principal of Lawrence Institute (currently Lawrence University) until 1853 and later professor of mathematics until his retirement in 1857, symbolizes just one of the ties that existed between Lawrence and the Methodists for many years.

Contents © 2017 First United Methodist Church Appleton, WI | Church Website Provided by mychurchwebsite.net | Privacy Policy